Broccoli Cheese Soup
Normally, I like quick and easy meals. While this one is easy - it is not super quick when you include the prep time, yet every second is worth the delicious results! Perfect to make on a cold weekend! This recipe comes compliments of my sister and she sure has a winner with it!
- 8 T butter (1 stick) - divided
- 4 c (32 ounces) chicken stock (or vegetable) divided
- 3 c half and half
- 1/3 c flour
- 1 c finely minced onion
- 3 c finely grated carrots, about 3 large carrots (do not use pre-shredded matchsticks)
- 1 1/4 pounds of fresh broccoli crowns - divided
- 2 - 3 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t paprika
- 1 t dry mustard
- 24 ounces grated high quality cheddar cheese - divided - do not use pre-shredded at you will not get the creamy consistency and your soup my break
- Rinse and cut off broccoli tops - cut off bottom of stalk and shred the remaining stalks to equal 1 cup of broccoli shreds
- Place 2 T butter, 1 cup of chicken stock, minced onion, grated carrots, broccoli shreds, and garlic in medium sauce pan. Cook until vegetables are all soft, approximately 30 minutes
- While that is cooking In a large saucepan steam the remaining broccoli tops - when soft, drain, and mash with a potato masher, set aside
- While those are both cooking In a large saucepan
- melt the remaining 6 T of butter over medium heat
- add the flour and seasonings
- whisk constantly for 3 minute
- Add in the remaining 3 cups of stock
- Add in the half and half
- Stir every couple of minutes so it doesn't cook to the bottom of the pan
- Simmer until thickened.
- When thickened - add shredded vegetable mixture, the mashed broccoli and cook on low for 30 minutes stirring occasional to prevent cooking to the pan. I set a timer for every 5 and it was fine.
- Add in 20 ounces of the shredded cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes (I honestly just toss most of it in and don't measure, it is cheese!)
- Serve and garnish with the remaining cheese shreds
If you assemble and prep all of your ingredients (and yep, I used an old fashion hand grater!) you can cook all 3 pans almost simultaneously and you can have a delicious homemade soup in an hour!